APPENDIX 7: THE EMBANKMENT
See attached drawing (Figure 6) detailing the location of possible improvements. The cost of some of them should come under the auspices of various Council departments, rather than the development.
Working from Wharf Lane to the Church, they include:
1. Consider crown lifting/thinning the closely planted chestnut trees at the end of Wharf Lane. 2. Repairs to the Embankment wall needed throughout the site. 3. Riverside railings need repainting with localised refurbishment. 4. The end of Water Lane
- resurface the steps to the river with granite setts or similar
- improve surfacing throughout key location
- stop parking immediately to the east of the steps
5. Existing tree planting is in raised containers with soil level above ground level. Replace with granite or similar; consider sit-upon retaining wall. 6. Planting buffer retained between parking and seating, but with more gaps to allow views of riverside and allow removal of brick boxes. Consider hedge planting, possibly protected on road side by decorative railing. 7. Possible granite kerbing. 8. New seating, replaced with all timber or timber and steel. 9. New litter bins, sited in less visually dominant positions. 10. Area opposite the yacht club: this is a riverside wharf area: mooring bollards would be useful to boats and to reinforced working wharf character. Climbing plants against wall of yacht club would improve appearance. 11. Champions Wharf
- Replace ugly light column and renew or refurbish seating.
- Check effect of vegetation growing from river wall and condition of slipway
- Stonework and coping repairs
12. Surfacing generally: old sealed gravel surface appropriate but needs renewing. Areas of brick paving consider replacement with granite. 13. Lighting generally: provision could beneficially be slightly increased, with resiting to avoid obstruction by trees. 14. Traffic and parking sinage; there are opportunities to reduce sinage, and reduce number of posts. Co-ordinate colours of posts. 15. Bell Lane, Water Lane, Wharf Lane: resurfacing all or part in granite setts or similar would add to riverside character. 16. Redesign the steps by the bridge to include a ramp for boat launching, and reduce the height of the steps.
|Figure 6 - Improvements to the Embankment|
|(Click on the map to download an enlarged version - 120kB)|